A legacy of faith, courage and service in Sri Lanka, from 1867 to 2007 and beyond.
In 1867, when Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) had only two Vicariates, the Vicar Apostolic of Colombo, Monsignor Hillarion Sillani, O.S.B., made an appeal to the Mother House of Angers, seeking assistance for the care and education of women and girls in his diocese. This request resonated deeply with the universal vision of St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier, whose dream was that the Good Shepherd mission would embrace all nations and peoples.
Responding to this call, St. Mary Euphrasia discerned and selected five Sisters to pioneer the mission in Sri Lanka. Before her death from cancer, she entrusted them with this new foundation, ensuring the continuation of her vision of a worldwide mission of mercy and reconciliation.
After her passing, Sr. Peter de Coudenhove, her successor as Superior General, had the honour of commissioning the five pioneering missionary Sisters and sending them to Colombo. Their arrival in 1869 marked the beginning of the Good Shepherd presence in Sri Lanka, a mission rooted in education, care, and service to women and girls.
Their first foundation was established in Kotahena, Colombo, marking the beginning of a ministry that would grow steadily across the island over the decades, as the Good Shepherd Sisters expanded their mission of education, care, and service to women and girls in Sri Lanka.
On the blessed and memorable day, 15th April 1869, the first commissioned Good Shepherd Sisters Marie Euphrasia Goughs, Mary Sacred Heart Masi, Mary Annunciation Mirandi, and Mary Suzane Cardiff—set foot on Sri Lankan soil. It has been recorded that the four sisters “arrived at the Gall Harbour in the south of Ceylon, from where they travelled to Colombo by horse-carriage. They were first welcomed by the bishop of Colombo, Monsignor Hillarion Sillani, O.S.B at Philip Neri’s church in Pettah. A procession of carriages and people on foot led them through gaily decorated streets, while music and dancing heralded their arrival to St. Lucis’s church”, which is the present Cathedral in Kotahena. After the Eucharistic celebration and welcome at the church, the sisters were led by the bishop to their new convent, where they were installed as the first community of the Good Shepherd in Ceylon, as part of the Province of India.
Sr Mary of the Seven Dolours Joly, the fifth sister named by St. Mary Euphrasia, arrived in Sri Lanka in May of the same year. She was appointed as the first Superior of the Kotahena community and also served as the Principal of the school, strengthening the early foundations of education and community life.
As the story of the Province unfolded, the guiding hand of God became ever more evident. After 55 years of gradual growth under the leadership of the Indian Province, Ceylon was established as a separate Province in 1924, with Mother Mary of St. Prosper appointed as its first Provincial Superior.
In 1954, the Provincial leadership acquired a property a few miles from Colombo, featuring a cottage that later became known as Villa, which served as a temporary convent. With the support of the Mother House, the property was purchased and blessed, marking an important step in the development of the Province. In 1955, the Provincialate was officially transferred to Nayakakanda, which thereafter became the central hub for the Province, including the formation of novices and key developmental activities.
The period from 1869 to 1956 remains a significant chapter in the history of the Good Shepherd mission in Sri Lanka. Despite challenges and difficulties, the missionary Sisters established ten new foundations extending from Kotahena, including Kandy, St. Bridget’s, Nuwara Eliya, Bolawalana, Nayakakanda, Bandarawela, Wahakotte, Panadura, Wellawatta, and Yatiyantota, spreading the Good Shepherd presence across the island.
In 1880, with the permission of the Superior General, the Superior of the Good Shepherd Convent facilitated the establishment of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis Xavier. Their novitiate was located at Bolawalana, and the Good Shepherd Sisters were entrusted with the responsibility of their formation. Although they remained a diocesan congregation, they grew under the guidance and influence of the Good Shepherd spirit.
Following Sri Lanka's independence, the changing political climate no longer permitted the entry of foreign missionaries. Concerned about the future of Catholic schools and institutions, Church leaders discerned a new direction for the mission. Since the Sisters of St. Francis Xavier had long been formed and accompanied by the Good Shepherd Sisters, it was felt that a closer union would strengthen and deepen the missionary apostolate in the country.
Thus, in 1957, the amalgamation with the diocesan Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis Xavier took place. Through this historic union, the Province was greatly strengthened and expanded to include more than 400 sisters, opening a new chapter in the growth of the Good Shepherd mission in Sri Lanka.
Another significant milestone followed in 1963, when the first Contemplative Community was established at Bolawalana, Negombo, in the former novitiate of the Francis Xavier Sisters. This foundation marked the beginning of the contemplative presence of the Good Shepherd Sisters in Sri Lanka, enriching the life and mission of the Province through prayer, silence, and devotion in support of the apostolic mission.
During the leadership of Sr Mary Good Counsel, the Province embraced the call to renewal by reading the signs of the times. Important adaptations were made in religious life, and the apostolates were reappraised to respond more effectively to emerging needs while remaining faithful to the Good Shepherd charism.
Responding to the invitation of the Bishop of Multan, Sr. Joseph Deegon visited Pakistan to explore the possibility of opening a new mission. After careful preparation and discernment, the first group of four sisters left Sri Lanka on 17th September 1975 to begin their mission in the underprivileged village of Fatimapur. From that historic day onward, the Province became known as the Sri Lanka–Pakistan Province and continued with this name for more than 50 years, until January 2026. During this time, the mission grew in both countries through the dedicated service and commitment of the sisters to the Good Shepherd mission.
As already mentioned, fire had been first sparked off and set ablaze by the passionate and audacious zeal of St. M. Euphrasia, whose magnanimous heart "embraced the whole world ." Imbued with the zeal and spirit of St. John Eudes and of St. Mary Euphrasia, which was vibrant in our Missionary Sisters, over hundreds of them, as al- ready recorded in this Story, in a gradual and generous Good Shepherd Journey, from 1869 to 1960, have entered our country to set aflame the Presence of the Good Shepherd in Sri Lanka. The last three Irish Sisters left the shores of Sri Lanka in 1995. The very last Irish Sister to be laid to rest in Sri Lanka was Sr. Madeline Ryan in 2007. Thus, Sri Lanka enjoyed and experienced the Shepherding Presence of the Good Shepherd Missionaries for 138 years, from 1869 to 2007!